- How to use a grinder
- How to clean a grinder
- How to grind weed without a grinder
- How to grind weed for different uses
No matter which way you look at it, grinding weed is an all-out necessity if you want a good smoking experience. Whether you’re rolling your own, using a vaporizer, or lighting a being, the consistency of the weed affects how the flower burns and produces smoke. Thankfully, there are about as many ways to grind weed as there are good strains to try, even if you don’t have a grinder. Check it out below.
How to Use a Weed Grinder
A weed grinder is perhaps the greatest innovation for the frequent cannabis smoker. These things are portable, convenient, quick, and simple to use. The general steps involve:
- Remove the top lid of the grinder
- Break up bigger buds with your hands and then place them between the grinder teeth
- Replace the top and rotate about 10 times, depending on the fineness desired
- Unscrew the bottom chamber to pull out the ground cannabis from the basket
- The powdered kief in the bottom can be reserved for later use
How to clean a grinder
Grinders get sticky after a few uses, and the stickiness can affect your grinding abilities and even lock up your grinder if ignored. To keep your grinder clean:
- Disassemble the parts
- Rub the sticky parts with isopropyl alcohol mixed with salt
- Use a toothbrush or cleaning brush to slough away residue
- Rinse and allow to dry
- If the grinder is severely sticky, you can also pop it in the freezer to make removing resin easier.
How to Grind Weed Without a Grinder
How to grind weed with hands
Use your fingers and fingernails to break up the bud as finely as possible. Granted, some weed is really sticky, so a hand grind can be rough. A quick tip: drop the nug in the freezer for a bit to solidify the resin before trying to break it up manually.
How to grind weed with scissors
Grab a good sharp pair of scissors and go to town chopping until your bits are smaller and relatively uniform. This method can be made easier by placing your bud into a small glass, such as a shot glass.
A Few Other Ways to Grind Weed …
- RX bottle and coin – Clean an empty pill bottle, drop in your bud, add a clean dime, and shake it up vigorously
- Knife and cutting board – Self-explanatory, but can take a little time
- Coffee grinder – Can be rough to clean but works super well
- Cheese grater – Tedious but possible—simply press firmly and grate
- Pestle and mortar – Place the nug into the bowl and use the pestle for crushing
How Fine to Grind Weed for Different Methods of Use
In general, a good fine grind will work for just about any intended consumption method. For example, a fine grind works out well in both a joint and a pipe. Nevertheless, some methods of cannabis smoking can call for slightly different weed grinds. Take a look:
- Joint or blunt – For an even smoke, try to grind to a relatively fine consistency like tobacco in a cigarette; super-fine grinds pack too tight and make it hard to smoke, but too little grinding will mean inconsistency.
- Bowl on a bong or pipe – Generally requires a rough grind so you don’t lose fine particles and clog up the bowl; go for a medium-fine for an even burn.
- Vaporizer – You need a fine grind with most vaporizers so you can pack the chamber as tight and full as possible for even heating. Loose tidbits and shreds can make it hard to pack tightly.
Get Your Weed and Your Grinder in One Stop
Small grinders are pretty cheap, and some are even designed to be disposable. So, a lot of people just grab a small grinder when they pick up their cannabis at the dispensary. However, at CannaProvisions, we also keep some premium-quality grinders on hand as well. Be sure to take a look at our menu to reserve both your favorite strain and your accessories before you stop by to see us.